Build My Own Computer
Updated October 12, 2007
This is a desktop computer to be used in a business application which requires data encryption and a low risk of accidental data loss, but which is not particularly graphics intensive. It should be designed to last for a long time.
• Upper side of the current technology, but not the cutting edge.
• All components operated within specifications, e.g. no overclocking.
• At least two CPUs (e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad) for good CPU throughput.
• Windows Vista 64-bit operating system, full version.
• All components compatible with that operating system.
• As quiet as possible.
• Clock speed at least 2.66 GHz, memory at least 800 MHz.
• At least 2 Gb main memory.
• Good graphics accelerator, mid-capability, no fan, no need for two cards.
• At least 320 Gb disk space, expandable.
• RAID 1 (mirrored) disks to protect against a single drive failure.
• A third internal disk for backup, to protect against file deletion or corruption.
• One good DVD/CD reader/burner with space for one more.
• No other backup device is required.
• Internal diskette drive, can be USB connected.
• 100 Mb/sec LAN.
• Internal 56 Kb modem for connection to client modems or for emergency dialup.
• Space for additional PCI cards, internal disks, and front-panel devices.
• American made or designed components wherever reasonable.